The new buildings were inaugurated in 1888. No-one, however, could have imagined the tragic fate of the site. On January 12, 1892, the sky of Fécamp was painted blood-red; the Palais was in flames.
The Palais was totally destroyed as well as Alexandre Le Grand’s own home. Fires were not unusual in factories at the end of the 19th Century, but on that particular day in 1892 it was a case of arson.
Where other people would have preferred to turn the page and forget as soon as possible, Alexandre Le Grand decided to have a bigger, even more handsome palace built.The new project came into being under the guidance of Camille Albert and Ferdinand Marrou, a famous wrought-iron specialist of the time.